This Chicken Fajita Soup is the perfect easy and warm weeknight dinner. Don’t have personal skillets? No problem! Get the taste of classic chicken fajitas by using the Instant Pot for tender, juicy chicken packed with a spicy punch.
The Story Behind Chicken Fajita Soup
Being a mom of a bunch of kids comes with a deep rooted, crazed-hair need to get dinner on the table in a snap – and usually after you’ve realized that they hubby will be home in just 30 minutes. Thankfully, since getting my Instant Pot I don’t stress out nearly as much.
I love how I’m able to take frozen foods and cook them quickly in the Instant Pot. Whether it is a bunch of chicken breasts, pot roast, doesn’t matter. I can just throw it in with some spices, a concentrated liquid and it’s good to go. Soups are even better! Typically you warm the pot up with a saute mode and caramalize some vegetables, and then pressure cook the remaining ingredients.
Boom! Done! Just like a Crock-Pot, but I didn’t have to remember it first thing in the morning before the coffee kicked in.
Can you freeze Chicken Fajita S
Yes! I do this with pretty much every soup I make. I will make a double batch or a larger than needed batch, and spoon the cooled soup into a Ziploc bag or vacuum saver bag. Get as much air as you can out of it and freeze it flat.
What goes with Chicken Fajita S
Southwest Loaded Cornbread
Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
Substitute Red Bell Peppers for Green Bell Peppers
Substitute Rice for Beans
Substitute any beans you have on hand for Pinto Beans
Substitute cooked Shredded Pork for the Chicken or go meatless
Substitute any jar of salsa for the Salsa Verde
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- juice of one lime
- 8 oz salsa verde
- 14.5 ounces roasted garlic diced tomatoes
- 16 oz dried pinto beans
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- sour cream
- lime slices
- chip strips
- Prepare dried pinto beans.
- Turn Instant Pot to sautee mode for 10-15 minutes. Melt oil and butter together. Add diced red and green bell peppers. Saute for 5 minutes. Add the diced yellow onions and saute with peppers for 5 more minutes. Add garlic for another 5 minutes.
- Place chicken breasts on peppers and onions. Pour all remaining ingredients over the chicken.
- Using the Manual Pressure setting, set on high for 20 minutes and allow for natural pressure release.
- Remove chicken, shred, and add back into the mixture and serve with optional toppings.
Leave a Reply